Seacole sculpture design revealedBreaking News
Artist Martin Jennings created the winning sculpture, which will stand in the grounds of St Thomas' Hospital in central London.
The Jamaican-born nurse was voted the greatest Black Briton of all time in a poll in 2004.
The Mary Seacole Memorial Statue Appeal was set up to create a permanent reminder of the 19th Century nurse.
In 1854, she approached the War Office asking to be sent as an army nurse to the Crimea where there were known to be poor medical facilities for wounded soldiers.
She also visited the battlefield, sometimes under fire, to nurse the wounded, and became known as "Mother Seacole".
comments powered by Disqus
- Now it’s the University of Louisville’s turn to remove a Confederate statue
- A fortress built by Alexander the Great after he conquered Jerusalem has been discovered
- Yale students protest decision to keep Calhoun’s name
- Six maps that will make you rethink the world
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- The historian and cartographer Bill Rankin has developed a new way to visualize slavery
- Paula S. Fass says young Americans need required national service
- Historians are now trying to show that the gay revolution also took place in the midwest
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"