Seacole sculpture design revealedBreaking News
Artist Martin Jennings created the winning sculpture, which will stand in the grounds of St Thomas' Hospital in central London.
The Jamaican-born nurse was voted the greatest Black Briton of all time in a poll in 2004.
The Mary Seacole Memorial Statue Appeal was set up to create a permanent reminder of the 19th Century nurse.
In 1854, she approached the War Office asking to be sent as an army nurse to the Crimea where there were known to be poor medical facilities for wounded soldiers.
She also visited the battlefield, sometimes under fire, to nurse the wounded, and became known as "Mother Seacole".
comments powered by Disqus
- Lincoln University historian mourns decision to abolish the history major
- Hamilton College conservative historian questions diversity requirement
- Historians on Donald Trump: A Huge Hit on Facebook
- Historians Against Trump: Tweets During the GOP Convention
- The next president of the American Historical Association will be ...