Longtime critic of John Dean says Dean admitted he didn't reread his Watergate testimony when writing his autobiographyBreaking News
In a note to HNN Len Colodny reported that in a 1989 interview Dean admitted"I'm gonna be very honest with you. I didn't even reread my testimony when I wrote my book."
In the original acknowledgements to the book Dean wrote that he had reviewed his own testimony in writing the book.
Dean is releasing the new edition of his autobiography at an event at the Nixon Presidential Library & Museum. His appearance has drawn strong criticism from old Nixon supporters. The library is now run by the National Archives and Records Administration.
The interview is posted at Watergate.com.
Dean and Colodny have long been at odds. In the 1990s Dean sued Colodny, the co-author of the controversial book, Silent Coup (St. Martins Press, 1991), which claimed that Dean, not Nixon, was behind the Watergate Affair. The suit ended in a secret settlement that included the withdrawal of Silent Coup from sale by the publisher.
HNN Hot Topics: The Watergate Transcript Controversy
comments powered by Disqus
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges