'World's oldest woman' diesBreaking News
Mrs Temo said she was born on July 4, 1874 – making her at least five years older than any other claimant to the title of world's oldest person.
Despite Mrs Temo's claim to be the world's oldest woman, her age was never formally verified by the Guinness Book of Records.
The officially-recognised world's oldest woman, Portuguese grandmother Maria de Jesus, died in January aged 115.
If her story is true, it meant she lived throughout the entire twentieth century, an incredibly turbulent period in South African politics.
The apparent year of her birth, 1874, saw English, Boer and African armies battle for control of the colony.
She later survived the horrors of apartheid before reaching the age of 109 when Nelson Mandela was elected president in 1994.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity