China cuts off dissent ahead of Tiananmen anniversary
Beijing has taken steps to prevent dissent in response to a groundswell of pressure for the authorities to atone for what happened.
Students at Beijing and Dalian Universities have been banned from giving any interviews to the foreign media until after the anniversary.
University exams have been scheduled across China on June 4, in what appears to be an attempt to keep students inside their classrooms.
Security officers have also been targeting known dissidents including Bao Tong, 76, an aide to Zhao Zhiyang, the late Chinese leader. He has been taken out of Beijing to the mountain region of Huangshan on Monday.
comments powered by Disqus
- Montreal's history to be projected onto city walls throughout Old Montreal and the Old Port
- Bizarre Discovery Under Ancient Temple
- Ben Affleck’s Ancestor Did Not Own Slaves, Tax Documents Show
- American Civil War Commemorated Way Down South of Dixie
- Documentary tells the story slaves who moved to Chicago and formed a community