"We did not know that child abuse was a crime," says retired Catholic archbishopBreaking News
"We all considered sexual abuse of minors as a moral evil, but had no understanding of its criminal nature."
Weakland, who retired in 2002 after it became known that he paid $450,000 in 1998 to a man who had accused him of date rape years earlier, said he initially "accepted naively the common view that it was not necessary to worry about the effects on the youngsters: either they would not remember or they would ‘grow out of it’."
comments powered by Disqus
William W Haywood - 5/27/2009
This happened in the Catholic church under the watchful eye of whose God? It sure wasn't mine. Anyone convicted of a crime as heinous as this should be incarcerated for as long as it takes those children to forget..which they never will! Lies and cover-ups as obviously phony as this one is, show just exactly why the righteous,religious, proselytizer's can be as stupid about issues regarding sexual abuse of children as some powerful members of the catholic church are stupid about decency and morality. With these kinds of depraved individuals allowing such horrible child abuse in the past, just imagine what is happening right now!
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"