"We did not know that child abuse was a crime," says retired Catholic archbishopBreaking News
"We all considered sexual abuse of minors as a moral evil, but had no understanding of its criminal nature."
Weakland, who retired in 2002 after it became known that he paid $450,000 in 1998 to a man who had accused him of date rape years earlier, said he initially "accepted naively the common view that it was not necessary to worry about the effects on the youngsters: either they would not remember or they would ‘grow out of it’."
comments powered by Disqus
William W Haywood - 5/27/2009
This happened in the Catholic church under the watchful eye of whose God? It sure wasn't mine. Anyone convicted of a crime as heinous as this should be incarcerated for as long as it takes those children to forget..which they never will! Lies and cover-ups as obviously phony as this one is, show just exactly why the righteous,religious, proselytizer's can be as stupid about issues regarding sexual abuse of children as some powerful members of the catholic church are stupid about decency and morality. With these kinds of depraved individuals allowing such horrible child abuse in the past, just imagine what is happening right now!
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)