"We did not know that child abuse was a crime," says retired Catholic archbishop
"We all considered sexual abuse of minors as a moral evil, but had no understanding of its criminal nature."
Weakland, who retired in 2002 after it became known that he paid $450,000 in 1998 to a man who had accused him of date rape years earlier, said he initially "accepted naively the common view that it was not necessary to worry about the effects on the youngsters: either they would not remember or they would ‘grow out of it’."
comments powered by Disqus
William W Haywood - 5/27/2009
This happened in the Catholic church under the watchful eye of whose God? It sure wasn't mine. Anyone convicted of a crime as heinous as this should be incarcerated for as long as it takes those children to forget..which they never will! Lies and cover-ups as obviously phony as this one is, show just exactly why the righteous,religious, proselytizer's can be as stupid about issues regarding sexual abuse of children as some powerful members of the catholic church are stupid about decency and morality. With these kinds of depraved individuals allowing such horrible child abuse in the past, just imagine what is happening right now!
- Japanese textbooks may sanitize history, but comic art books don't
- Novels About Real-Life Women Are Saving Forgotten History
- CNN documentary focuses on “Nixon’s Own 9/11"
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success