Civil war fears as Yemen celebrates unity
Others were injured, and dozens of arrests were made. Reports say the police used tear gas and live rounds.
Protests were over poor living standards and alleged discrimination against southern Yemen by the authorities in the north.
Yemen is marking the anniversary of its historic unification in 1990.
Analysts say there has been rising tension throughout the south in the past two years, as the southern independence movement has gained strength.
It began two years ago when former southern military officials, forced into compulsory retirement, demanded higher pension payments.
comments powered by Disqus
- Ancient History Encyclopedia Announces Partnership with Chickasaw.tv
- Stanley Kutler’s book on Nixon Watergate abuses has been turned into a show on the web
- China bans books by pro-Hong Kong historian who retired from Princeton
- Fordham Historian Lambasts ‘Shabby Treatment’ In Row Over Israel Boycott, Vows to Continue Fighting Anti-Semitism
- George Mason's digital history program is 20 years old -- and celebrating