Civil war fears as Yemen celebrates unity
Others were injured, and dozens of arrests were made. Reports say the police used tear gas and live rounds.
Protests were over poor living standards and alleged discrimination against southern Yemen by the authorities in the north.
Yemen is marking the anniversary of its historic unification in 1990.
Analysts say there has been rising tension throughout the south in the past two years, as the southern independence movement has gained strength.
It began two years ago when former southern military officials, forced into compulsory retirement, demanded higher pension payments.
comments powered by Disqus
- England's King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
- 93-year-old former Auschwitz guard charged
- Martin Amis’s ‘Zone of Interest’ Makes European Publishers Squirm
- Urban Outfitters Features "Vintage" Red-Stained Kent State Sweatshirt
- Americans know surprisingly little about their government, survey finds