Civil war fears as Yemen celebrates unityBreaking News
Others were injured, and dozens of arrests were made. Reports say the police used tear gas and live rounds.
Protests were over poor living standards and alleged discrimination against southern Yemen by the authorities in the north.
Yemen is marking the anniversary of its historic unification in 1990.
Analysts say there has been rising tension throughout the south in the past two years, as the southern independence movement has gained strength.
It began two years ago when former southern military officials, forced into compulsory retirement, demanded higher pension payments.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history