FDR's Advice for the Democrats ... And His Amazing PredictionNews at Home
Delaware attorney Willard Saulsbury was one of those wondering what the Democrats could do. On November 8, just four days after the election that kept Calvin Coolidge in the White House despite the many scandals involving the Teapot Dome investigation, Saulsbury wrote to his friend Franklin Roosevelt to commiserate about the Democrats' unfavorable position."I do not know that we would have had any chance to have anybody President at this time," he wrote glumly.
This was FDR's response, which included an amazing prediction concerning the course the economy would take:
comments powered by Disqus
John Edward Philips - 3/8/2006
You've never heard of the business cycle? By this time the idea that good times are followed by hard times was pretty common, although the "new economy" types, in the 1920s as much as in the 1990s thought the business cycle had been repealed.
What's remarkable is that there was the same corruption among Republicans, their same stranglehold on the press and the same indifference of most Americans.
Dave Livingston - 1/7/2005
In the 60s my father, a life-long Democrat & observer of human affairs but no more deeply involved in politics than to be elected mayor of a small town, told me in the late 50s that "The blicans lead us into depressions; the Democrats get us into wars." Not so as a generalization?
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity