'Don't lie about Russia's war history'
A presidential decree posted on the Kremlin's website said "the commission will engage in the compilation and analysis of information on the falsification of historical facts and events, directed at lowering the international prestige of the Russian Federation".
It comes days after the president warned against anybody questioning Russian history and its wartime sacrifice – millions of Soviet civilians and soldiers died in years of bloody fighting and German occupation .
comments powered by Disqus
Dalek Dukat - 5/22/2009
It is good to see the Russians standing up for themselves. Now, the trick will be to try to get as many English-language books written about battles like Operation Bagration available in North America, which is so awash in books about D-Day that one could be forgiven for thinking that D-Day was the sole deciding factor in bringing down the Reich.
- Biographer of a Progressive reformer says it's odd reading stories about inequality in the news every day
- Dutch sociologist says that what is new about mass killing is that we’re embarrassed by it
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Convicted felon Conrad Black has a new book out
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830