Cost of Lord Nelson's 'menage-a-trois' shown in household accountsBreaking News
Sir William Hamilton became one the most famous cuckolds in British history when he moved with his younger wife Emma, Lady Hamilton, into the celebrated admiral's house in Merton, south London in 1801.
But not only did the two men share a lover, they also pooled their resources to cover the huge sums necessary to meet her expensive tastes.
A set of 16 household accounts covering the period of the unusual domestic arrangement, which is up for auction next month, show that Lord Nelson and Sir William split many bills evenly.
comments powered by Disqus
- Carly Fiorina Says Knowledge of Medieval History Will Help Her Defeat ISIS
- FOIA Documents Reveal Agent Orange Dioxin, Toxic Dumps, Fish Kills on Okinawa Base
- Scientists Hope to Learn How Pompeians Lived, Before the Big Day
- Watch Robert Kennedy Push Gun Control In Same Town As Recent Mass Shooting
- October is LGBT History Month
- National History Day Helps 600,000 Kids Bring the Past to Life
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders
- Intellectual historians to gather in October