Cost of Lord Nelson's 'menage-a-trois' shown in household accountsBreaking News
Sir William Hamilton became one the most famous cuckolds in British history when he moved with his younger wife Emma, Lady Hamilton, into the celebrated admiral's house in Merton, south London in 1801.
But not only did the two men share a lover, they also pooled their resources to cover the huge sums necessary to meet her expensive tastes.
A set of 16 household accounts covering the period of the unusual domestic arrangement, which is up for auction next month, show that Lord Nelson and Sir William split many bills evenly.
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch Robert Kennedy Push Gun Control In Same Town As Recent Mass Shooting
- October is LGBT History Month
- Textbook publisher apologizes for passage referring to slavery as immigration
- ISIS Destroys Triumphal Arches in Palmyra, Syria
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Intellectual historians to gather in October
- Yuri N. Afanasyev, Historian Who Repudiated Communism, Dies at 81