RAF ending 19-year Iraq mission
From today, most British air personnel remaining in the country will return to the UK.
The RAF Ensign - flown at Basra Airport in southern Iraq since 2003 - has been lowered at a ceremony for 903 Expeditionary Air Wing.
A total of 22 RAF personnel died in Operation Telic, the name given to the UK military mission in Iraq since 2003.
The RAF was deployed on operations in the Gulf in August 1990, when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait.
comments powered by Disqus
- New Churchill Museum director shares vision
- Judith Kelleher Schafer, 72, a historian of slavery and prostitution, dies
- Northwestern celebrates Garry Wills with a book in his honor
- Conservatives go after UCLA's historian James Gelvin
- Laura Hillenbrand writes her masterpieces despite suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome