No 10 denies Lumley 'Gurkha snub'Breaking News
The actress and campaigner said she wrote three letters to Mr Brown over the issue but none were acknowledged.
Ms Lumley wants all Gurkhas to be given equal right to settle in the UK, no matter when they served in the British army.
Some 36,000 Gurkhas - a brigade of Nepalese soldiers who serve in the British Army - have been denied UK residency because they left before 1997.
The government is reviewing its rules for admitting Gurkhas after it lost a Commons vote on the issue last week, in what was a major blow to Gordon Brown's leadership.
Ministers have again defended their policy on the Gurkhas, amid claims that they are overstating the likely cost of allowing all the ex-soldiers to live in the UK.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history