New award for heroes of Holocaust
The Prime Minister has approved calls from Dumfries and Galloway MP Russell Brown for a symbol of recognition.
UK ministers rejected the idea of reforming the honours system to allow posthumous awards but are open to discussions on setting up a new award.
A potential beneficiary is Jane Haining from Dunscore in southern Scotland.
Mr Brown led a debate at Westminster on changing the current system in order to allow posthumous awards.
He wants greater recognition for people like Miss Haining who refused to abandon Jewish children in her care in Hungary after German forces invaded in 1944.
She subsequently died in Auschwitz.
comments powered by Disqus
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis
- Historian says the removal of Nazi-era art to Switzerland makes restitution unlikely
- Martin Kramer blasts MESA and Steven Salaita