New award for heroes of HolocaustBreaking News
The Prime Minister has approved calls from Dumfries and Galloway MP Russell Brown for a symbol of recognition.
UK ministers rejected the idea of reforming the honours system to allow posthumous awards but are open to discussions on setting up a new award.
A potential beneficiary is Jane Haining from Dunscore in southern Scotland.
Mr Brown led a debate at Westminster on changing the current system in order to allow posthumous awards.
He wants greater recognition for people like Miss Haining who refused to abandon Jewish children in her care in Hungary after German forces invaded in 1944.
She subsequently died in Auschwitz.
comments powered by Disqus
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors
- Black Death maps reveal how the plague devastated medieval Britain
- Bernie Sanders picks Cornel West to help write Democratic platform
- Trump is empowering anti-Semites, Holocaust deniers, and White nationalists
- The First Time a Plane Was Bombed