New award for heroes of Holocaust
The Prime Minister has approved calls from Dumfries and Galloway MP Russell Brown for a symbol of recognition.
UK ministers rejected the idea of reforming the honours system to allow posthumous awards but are open to discussions on setting up a new award.
A potential beneficiary is Jane Haining from Dunscore in southern Scotland.
Mr Brown led a debate at Westminster on changing the current system in order to allow posthumous awards.
He wants greater recognition for people like Miss Haining who refused to abandon Jewish children in her care in Hungary after German forces invaded in 1944.
She subsequently died in Auschwitz.
comments powered by Disqus
- Field Report: What I learned by attending a workshop on Korean history
- Historians suggest ways California can integrate gay history into the school curriculum
- Now it’s Andrew Bacevich’s turn to do a MOOC
- Historian enlists Plato in campaign to win converts to an exciting way to teach history
- Teachers walkout in Colorado over AP history controversy and pay