Skeleton Find Stumps Kapiti (New Zealand)Roundup: Talking About History
A subdivision in Paraparaumu has been stopped dead in its tracks by the discovery of skeletons in shallow graves believed to be more than 100 years old.
The skeletons -- believed to be of at least four or five bodies, including that of possibly a younger person -- were discovered by workmen using a digger and have historians, police and local Maori stumped.
They were found on a 20-hectare block of land between Mazengarb Rd and Southwards Complex which is being developed into 140 sections by the Pritchard Group.
Developer David Pritchard said police and the Historic Places Trust were investigating the find in conjunction with local iwi.
"The skeletons were a complete surprise," he said yesterday.
"We investigated the history of the land before we started the development. There were no historical graves registered with the Historic Places Trust and local iwi had no knowledge of them.
"Initial investigations suggest the skeletons could be those of Europeans because it appeared they were in coffins, as nails were found surrounding them."
The skeletons were uncovered by diggers last Thursday and iwi representatives, police, Kapiti Coast District Council and Historic Places Trust representatives visited the site on Friday.
Archaeological investigations were scheduled to begin today and excavation would resume only after the skeletons had been removed and laid to rest in a specially allocated site, Mr Pritchard said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)