Gettysburg Again Among Most Endangered Civil War SitesBreaking News
Although being named most endangered might be considered a negative, it actually is embraced by the various sites because the Trust has a proven ability to bring media attention to what are often little known sites or unrecognized threats. A place on the annual list also means the Trust will most likely help raise huge amounts of money in an effort to rescue a battlefield.
Gettysburg, the best known of the country's battlefields, has often been on the Trust's list and each time the threat has either been removed or reduced.
The Trust does not rank the list; the threat follows the name of each site:
Gettysburg, Pa: expanding commercial development including hotels.
Wilderness, Va: proposed Wal-Mart super center.
New Market Heights, Va: none of the land is protected by any preservation group.
Cedar Creek, Va: approval of expanded limestone mining operations.
Monocacy, Md: proposed trash facility.
South Mountain, Md: proposed construction of natural gas compression plant.
Sabine, Texas: damage from two hurricanes and lack of state money for repair
Fort Gaines, Al: land erosion by Gulf of Mexico
Spring Hill, Tn: commercial development
Port Gibson, Ms: proposed road widening through center of the town
comments powered by Disqus
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Hitler's phone, 'the most destructive 'weapon' of all time,' sold for $243,000
- NYT features fascinating story about Ford’s fantasyland in Brazil
- Mark Zuckerberg issues manifesto on the future of Facebook that rests on insights of Israeli historian Yuval Harari
- Migration To Americas Came in Waves, According to Big Data
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans