Gettysburg Again Among Most Endangered Civil War SitesBreaking News
Although being named most endangered might be considered a negative, it actually is embraced by the various sites because the Trust has a proven ability to bring media attention to what are often little known sites or unrecognized threats. A place on the annual list also means the Trust will most likely help raise huge amounts of money in an effort to rescue a battlefield.
Gettysburg, the best known of the country's battlefields, has often been on the Trust's list and each time the threat has either been removed or reduced.
The Trust does not rank the list; the threat follows the name of each site:
Gettysburg, Pa: expanding commercial development including hotels.
Wilderness, Va: proposed Wal-Mart super center.
New Market Heights, Va: none of the land is protected by any preservation group.
Cedar Creek, Va: approval of expanded limestone mining operations.
Monocacy, Md: proposed trash facility.
South Mountain, Md: proposed construction of natural gas compression plant.
Sabine, Texas: damage from two hurricanes and lack of state money for repair
Fort Gaines, Al: land erosion by Gulf of Mexico
Spring Hill, Tn: commercial development
Port Gibson, Ms: proposed road widening through center of the town
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)