Gettysburg Again Among Most Endangered Civil War SitesBreaking News
Although being named most endangered might be considered a negative, it actually is embraced by the various sites because the Trust has a proven ability to bring media attention to what are often little known sites or unrecognized threats. A place on the annual list also means the Trust will most likely help raise huge amounts of money in an effort to rescue a battlefield.
Gettysburg, the best known of the country's battlefields, has often been on the Trust's list and each time the threat has either been removed or reduced.
The Trust does not rank the list; the threat follows the name of each site:
Gettysburg, Pa: expanding commercial development including hotels.
Wilderness, Va: proposed Wal-Mart super center.
New Market Heights, Va: none of the land is protected by any preservation group.
Cedar Creek, Va: approval of expanded limestone mining operations.
Monocacy, Md: proposed trash facility.
South Mountain, Md: proposed construction of natural gas compression plant.
Sabine, Texas: damage from two hurricanes and lack of state money for repair
Fort Gaines, Al: land erosion by Gulf of Mexico
Spring Hill, Tn: commercial development
Port Gibson, Ms: proposed road widening through center of the town
comments powered by Disqus
- Hillary Clinton’s 3 debate performances left the Trump campaign in ruins
- Now Austria Says It Will Likely Redesign Hitler's House, Not Tear It Down
- Some looted Idlib National Museum artifacts resurface, fate of others a mystery amidst ‘thriving black market trade’
- Is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau constitutional?
- Poll: Millennials desperately need to bone up on the history of communism
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"
- Conservative historians against Trump sign a petition warning he'd be dangerous
- Benjamin H. Irvin Named OAH Executive Editor
- Historian Diana Ramey Berry praises effort to return the skull of Nat Turner to his family