Memo details Reagan's secret attempt to convince Gorbachev that God existsBreaking News
It was during the first one-on-one session in Moscow that Reagan engaged in a bold but questionable endeavor well beyond his mandate as president of the United States. According to the memo of their conversation, which was based on notes taken by two Reagan aides and has now been declassified and made available at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, Calif., Reagan secretly attempted to persuade Gorbachev of the existence of God...
comments powered by Disqus
Raul A Garcia - 3/13/2009
With so much power in their hands, they better be substantive in their talk. Secular authenticism is a convenient paradigm, but good thing not the only wish I have. I like a good cheeseburger and I like to peruse the universe away from the city lights as well.
Lorraine Paul - 3/12/2009
Can you imagine the scene, one of the leaders of the world is there to discuss 'peaceful co-existence', space exploration, and other serious matters, such as glasnost and perestroika not to mention the fate of the world and the other is there to push religion!
I saw Russian Orthodox churches being used for worship everywhere when I journeyed through the Soviet Union in September/October of 1988. In fact we joked that we were on the ABC tour - not Another Bloody Church!
I recommend that you read the full article in the WSJ. Wait until you get to the bit where Gorbachev tries to discuss space exploration and Raygun's reply... which made me nearly wet myself laughing~!!
One thing Mann got wrong is that he mentions summits which last from 1985 until 1988. Gorbachev was the up and coming bloke in that time-frame, but he was definitely NOT the leader of the Soviet Union!!!
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Trump Recording Narrows Divide on Sexual Assault
- SUNY professor says Trump win at least 87 percent certain; other polls 'bunk'
- Petition Started to Include Clarence Thomas in National African American Museum
- The Racial Politics of Nat Turner Tours
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller