Memo details Reagan's secret attempt to convince Gorbachev that God existsBreaking News
It was during the first one-on-one session in Moscow that Reagan engaged in a bold but questionable endeavor well beyond his mandate as president of the United States. According to the memo of their conversation, which was based on notes taken by two Reagan aides and has now been declassified and made available at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, Calif., Reagan secretly attempted to persuade Gorbachev of the existence of God...
comments powered by Disqus
Raul A Garcia - 3/13/2009
With so much power in their hands, they better be substantive in their talk. Secular authenticism is a convenient paradigm, but good thing not the only wish I have. I like a good cheeseburger and I like to peruse the universe away from the city lights as well.
Lorraine Paul - 3/12/2009
Can you imagine the scene, one of the leaders of the world is there to discuss 'peaceful co-existence', space exploration, and other serious matters, such as glasnost and perestroika not to mention the fate of the world and the other is there to push religion!
I saw Russian Orthodox churches being used for worship everywhere when I journeyed through the Soviet Union in September/October of 1988. In fact we joked that we were on the ABC tour - not Another Bloody Church!
I recommend that you read the full article in the WSJ. Wait until you get to the bit where Gorbachev tries to discuss space exploration and Raygun's reply... which made me nearly wet myself laughing~!!
One thing Mann got wrong is that he mentions summits which last from 1985 until 1988. Gorbachev was the up and coming bloke in that time-frame, but he was definitely NOT the leader of the Soviet Union!!!
- Frontline does Trump & Clinton
- This New York Times ‘Hitler’ book review sure reads like a thinly veiled Trump comparison
- US owes blacks reparations over slavery: UN experts
- Mali Islamist jailed for nine years for Timbuktu shrine attacks
- What Historians Are Saying About the First Trump-Clinton Debate
- Princeton professor documents the movement that ended single-sex education at elite schools
- Historian EP Thompson denounced Communist party chiefs, files show
- Voting opens soon for the leaders of the OAH in 2017