On the treasure stealers' trailBreaking News
One landowner tells of discovering a gang armed with bicycle chains and other weapons, as well as dozens of maps, highlighted with sites of historical interest.
Responsible metal detectorists, as they are called, are just as angry about what the criminal minority do in their names, saying that it makes it very difficult to establish relationships with landowners.
Bob, and his friend Cliff Smith, are members of a recognised national body with insurance and a strict code of conduct.
When they found a very significant Saxon site in the area recently, they got in touch with the authorities, helped with the dig and even camped out overnight to make sure that the nighthawkers did not loot the site.
But Cliff points out a flaw in the current system of cataloguing recent finds.
"Once a site is scheduled, it goes on the internet", he says.
"You might as well put the GPS co-ordinates on with a sign saying 'dig here'. The archaeologists rarely have the resources to properly dig a recently discovered site. When they run out of money the rest is effectively left to the looters."
But Bob says that despite these frustrations, going out detecting is one of the best things in the world.
comments powered by Disqus
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- Korean Survivors of Atomic Bombs Renew Fight for Recognition, and Apology
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy