Lebanon remembers Hariri killingBreaking News
People waved red and white Lebanese flags and listened to speeches from political leaders amid tight security.
They are also showing support for a UN tribunal into the killing which starts in early March, correspondents say.
Syria has long been suspected of involvement in the massive truck bomb that killed Mr Hariri and 22 others.
Damascus has always denied it had anything to do with the attack.
Pictures of the former prime minister were flashed on giant screens, while a choir sang national songs.
The crowd fell silent at 1300 to mark the exact time Mr Hariri was killed.
Saad Hariri, son of Rafik and leader of Lebanon's pro-Western Sunni parliamentary majority, told our correspondent he was proud that his father's legacy was still able to unite the country.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity