Obama to Be Sworn in With Lincoln Bible
Obama will be the first president sworn in using the Lincoln Bible since its initial use in 1861. The Bible is part of the collections of the Library of Congress.
"President-elect Obama is deeply honored that the Library of Congress has made the Lincoln Bible available for use during his swearing-in," Presidential Inaugural Committee Executive Director Emmett Beliveau said in a written statement.
"The president-elect is committed to holding an inauguration that celebrates America's unity, and the use of this historic Bible will provide a powerful connection to our common past and common heritage," he said.
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 12/28/2008
He was sworn in on a Masonic Bible. GHW Bush used it for his inauguration.
It would be gratifying indeed if we could even get someone elected who isn't Christian or religious. But it won't happen in this country in the near future or the far future for that matter.
Got T Hart - 12/24/2008
Oh, that's nice for all those Americans who do not believe in (a Christian) God.
Shouldn't it be better if the oath of office was swoarn on a copy of the constitution?
- Field Report: What I learned by attending a workshop on Korean history
- Historians suggest ways California can integrate gay history into the school curriculum
- Now it’s Andrew Bacevich’s turn to do a MOOC
- Historian enlists Plato in campaign to win converts to an exciting way to teach history
- Teachers walkout in Colorado over AP history controversy and pay