Obama to Be Sworn in With Lincoln BibleBreaking News
Obama will be the first president sworn in using the Lincoln Bible since its initial use in 1861. The Bible is part of the collections of the Library of Congress.
"President-elect Obama is deeply honored that the Library of Congress has made the Lincoln Bible available for use during his swearing-in," Presidential Inaugural Committee Executive Director Emmett Beliveau said in a written statement.
"The president-elect is committed to holding an inauguration that celebrates America's unity, and the use of this historic Bible will provide a powerful connection to our common past and common heritage," he said.
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 12/28/2008
He was sworn in on a Masonic Bible. GHW Bush used it for his inauguration.
It would be gratifying indeed if we could even get someone elected who isn't Christian or religious. But it won't happen in this country in the near future or the far future for that matter.
Got T Hart - 12/24/2008
Oh, that's nice for all those Americans who do not believe in (a Christian) God.
Shouldn't it be better if the oath of office was swoarn on a copy of the constitution?
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades