Oliver Kamm: Was Patton assassinated on government orders?
Well, the Telegraph reported yesterday:"George S. Patton, America's greatest combat general of the Second World War, was assassinated after the conflict with the connivance of US leaders, according to a new book."
The author of the story at least has the grace, or perhaps the defensiveness, to add that"the scenario sounds far fetched but...". But there are no buts. This madcap conspiracy theory will doubtless even now be making the rounds of 9/11 Truth sites, and as it's unfalsifiable - and the principal supposed witness is dead and can't be questioned - you may expect it to come round and round again. I'm fortunate to number among my correspondents several leading historians of the American campaign in WWII. They wish you to know that this story is baloney.
comments powered by Disqus
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate