Oliver Kamm: Was Patton assassinated on government orders?Roundup: Talking About History
Well, the Telegraph reported yesterday:"George S. Patton, America's greatest combat general of the Second World War, was assassinated after the conflict with the connivance of US leaders, according to a new book."
The author of the story at least has the grace, or perhaps the defensiveness, to add that"the scenario sounds far fetched but...". But there are no buts. This madcap conspiracy theory will doubtless even now be making the rounds of 9/11 Truth sites, and as it's unfalsifiable - and the principal supposed witness is dead and can't be questioned - you may expect it to come round and round again. I'm fortunate to number among my correspondents several leading historians of the American campaign in WWII. They wish you to know that this story is baloney.
comments powered by Disqus
- Unilateral U.S. nuclear pullback in 1991 matched by rapid Soviet cuts
- More Historians Come Out for Trump
- History lesson horrifies parent: Blacks used to have ‘strong work ethic’ during slavery
- Philippines President Compares Himself To Hitler in Anti-Crime Rant
- U.S. Extradites Baltimore Professor to Rwanda to Stand Trial for Genocide