Oliver Kamm: Was Patton assassinated on government orders?Roundup: Talking About History
Well, the Telegraph reported yesterday:"George S. Patton, America's greatest combat general of the Second World War, was assassinated after the conflict with the connivance of US leaders, according to a new book."
The author of the story at least has the grace, or perhaps the defensiveness, to add that"the scenario sounds far fetched but...". But there are no buts. This madcap conspiracy theory will doubtless even now be making the rounds of 9/11 Truth sites, and as it's unfalsifiable - and the principal supposed witness is dead and can't be questioned - you may expect it to come round and round again. I'm fortunate to number among my correspondents several leading historians of the American campaign in WWII. They wish you to know that this story is baloney.
comments powered by Disqus
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Hitler's phone, 'the most destructive 'weapon' of all time,' sold for $243,000
- NYT features fascinating story about Ford’s fantasyland in Brazil
- Mark Zuckerberg issues manifesto on the future of Facebook that rests on insights of Israeli historian Yuval Harari
- Migration To Americas Came in Waves, According to Big Data
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans