Neanderthals could have died out because their bodies overheatedBreaking News
Analysis of DNA obtained from Neanderthal remains has revealed key differences from modern humans that suggest their bodies produced excess heat.
While in the cold climate of an ice age this would have provided the species with an advantage, as the earth warmed they would have been less able to cope. Ultimately this would have caused their extinction around 24,000 years ago.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 12/24/2008
The reasoning in this silly premise would have us believe that the physiology of the peoples of the polar regions today is different than that of those in the more temperate regions. Does anyone believe that the Fins, Danes, Aleuts, etc., would vanish if their land warmed up? Take it up a notch in silliness, how does today's concern for the polar bear compare to the poor Neanderthal in their day? This is a new low in conjecture but the Al Gores of the world will use it to prove mankind is doomed unless we forsake the modern conveniences that keep us comfortable and mobile.
James Martin - 12/24/2008
Gee! We are in trouble then...just the introduction of a swarm of homo sapiens, and their increased use of fire, caused global warming so bad that it wiped-out the Neanderthals! ;~)
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy