Neanderthals could have died out because their bodies overheatedBreaking News
Analysis of DNA obtained from Neanderthal remains has revealed key differences from modern humans that suggest their bodies produced excess heat.
While in the cold climate of an ice age this would have provided the species with an advantage, as the earth warmed they would have been less able to cope. Ultimately this would have caused their extinction around 24,000 years ago.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 12/24/2008
The reasoning in this silly premise would have us believe that the physiology of the peoples of the polar regions today is different than that of those in the more temperate regions. Does anyone believe that the Fins, Danes, Aleuts, etc., would vanish if their land warmed up? Take it up a notch in silliness, how does today's concern for the polar bear compare to the poor Neanderthal in their day? This is a new low in conjecture but the Al Gores of the world will use it to prove mankind is doomed unless we forsake the modern conveniences that keep us comfortable and mobile.
James Martin - 12/24/2008
Gee! We are in trouble then...just the introduction of a swarm of homo sapiens, and their increased use of fire, caused global warming so bad that it wiped-out the Neanderthals! ;~)
- The ‘nation’s report card’ says it assesses critical thinking in history
- A ‘Quest for Justice’ for Murdered Civil Rights Pioneer, 52 Years Later
- Under Trump, Most Americans Lack Basic Knowledge to Understand Current Events, Study Finds
- Trump wants a military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on July 4th
- What Happens When an Entire Campus Is Rooted in the Confederacy?
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.
- ‘Fake news’ from 1738 offers lessons for modern historians, says Missouri scholar
- Peter Dreier calls on Americans to build monuments to liberal heroes