Slave's daughter who voted for Barack Obama dies aged 110
Jones, who died on Thursday, earned attention across the United States after she mailed in her ballot for President-Elect Barack Obama in late October. When word of her vote spread, Jones was profiled on National Public Radio and ABC News.
Her granddaughter, Brenda Baker, said Jones had recently been admitted to hospital, but she was still preparing for a standing-room only birthday party Sunday afternoon. She celebrated her birthday on Dec 16.
comments powered by Disqus
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- History Camp "unconference" returns for the second year in Boston
- History Department at Connecticut College deplores Facebook post on Palestinians
- Historians join other scholars in protesting Georgia's anti-gay legislation
- Homeland Security historian builds winning case against Salvadoran leader who oversaw crimes
- What Howard Zinn taught the students of Spelman College