Slave's daughter who voted for Barack Obama dies aged 110Breaking News
Jones, who died on Thursday, earned attention across the United States after she mailed in her ballot for President-Elect Barack Obama in late October. When word of her vote spread, Jones was profiled on National Public Radio and ABC News.
Her granddaughter, Brenda Baker, said Jones had recently been admitted to hospital, but she was still preparing for a standing-room only birthday party Sunday afternoon. She celebrated her birthday on Dec 16.
comments powered by Disqus
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- In Hiroshima 71 years after first atomic strike, Obama calls for end of nuclear weapons
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize