Slave's daughter who voted for Barack Obama dies aged 110
Jones, who died on Thursday, earned attention across the United States after she mailed in her ballot for President-Elect Barack Obama in late October. When word of her vote spread, Jones was profiled on National Public Radio and ABC News.
Her granddaughter, Brenda Baker, said Jones had recently been admitted to hospital, but she was still preparing for a standing-room only birthday party Sunday afternoon. She celebrated her birthday on Dec 16.
comments powered by Disqus
- U.S. Textbook Skews History, Prime Minister of Japan Says
- Recalling a Film From the Liberation of the Camps
- Skull Fossil Offers New Clues on Human Journey From Africa
- Are crude conspiracies right? Research shows nations really do go to war over oil
- Famed SC civil rights protesters have convictions erased
- Columbia University professors Eric Foner, Alan Brinkley, and Alice Kessler-Harris to retire
- A powerhouse appropriations subcommittee is now headed by a historian: Republican Rep. Tom Cole (OK)
- Slavic scholars divided over a scholarship sponsored (and withdrawn) by Stephen F. Cohen
- Claire Strom to Step Down as Editor of Agricultural History