Obama's true colors: Black, white ... or neither?Breaking News
Debate over whether to call this son of a white Kansan and a black Kenyan biracial, African-American, mixed-race, half-and-half, multiracial — or, in Obama's own words, a "mutt" — has reached a crescendo since Obama's election shattered assumptions about race.
Obama has said, "I identify as African-American — that's how I'm treated and that's how I'm viewed. I'm proud of it." In other words, the world gave Obama no choice but to be black, and he was happy to oblige.
HNN Hot Topics: Obama and Race
comments powered by Disqus
Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs - 12/15/2008
Barack Obama is a descendant of Pilgrim Thomas Blossom, who arrived as a religious refugee in Leiden, Holland, in 1609 and emigrated to Plymouth Colony in 1629. This discovery by Christopher Child of the New England Historic Genealogical Society will be included in the revised edition of Gary Boyd Roberts' book on the genealogies of American presidents, due out in January. Leiden's alderman with responsibility for culture, Jan-Jaap de Haan, recently held a press conference on this topic (quite interesting for Leiden, the ancestral city of at least seven American presidents). See:
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”