Obama's true colors: Black, white ... or neither?Breaking News
Debate over whether to call this son of a white Kansan and a black Kenyan biracial, African-American, mixed-race, half-and-half, multiracial — or, in Obama's own words, a "mutt" — has reached a crescendo since Obama's election shattered assumptions about race.
Obama has said, "I identify as African-American — that's how I'm treated and that's how I'm viewed. I'm proud of it." In other words, the world gave Obama no choice but to be black, and he was happy to oblige.
HNN Hot Topics: Obama and Race
comments powered by Disqus
Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs - 12/15/2008
Barack Obama is a descendant of Pilgrim Thomas Blossom, who arrived as a religious refugee in Leiden, Holland, in 1609 and emigrated to Plymouth Colony in 1629. This discovery by Christopher Child of the New England Historic Genealogical Society will be included in the revised edition of Gary Boyd Roberts' book on the genealogies of American presidents, due out in January. Leiden's alderman with responsibility for culture, Jan-Jaap de Haan, recently held a press conference on this topic (quite interesting for Leiden, the ancestral city of at least seven American presidents). See:
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)