World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument is Established by
The five sites in Hawaii incorporated into the new Monument are all at Pearl Harbor, the main focus of the December 7, 1941, Japanese bombing raid that plunged America into World War II. The USS Arizona Memorial and visitor center are included, together with the USS Oklahoma Memorial, the USS Utah Memorial, six Chief Petty Office bungalows in Ford Island, and three mooring quays that once constituted part of Battleship Row in Pearl Harbor.
comments powered by Disqus
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate
- Origins of sex discovered
- Symposium held in honor of John D’Emilio
- Thousands of Historic Archives from British Asylums to Go Online
- American Studies Association boycott of Israel: Conservatives say it’s weakening
- YIVO Vilna Project Will Digitize Jewish History
- Columbia historian Eric Foner is giving his lectures to the public -- and to posterity — through a free MOOC.