CNN Genocide Series: The courageous few who saw evil and tried to stop the killingBreaking News
Richard Holbrooke first visited Bosnia in 1992 as a private citizen.
Three years later, he would become one of the most influential U.S. figures working to end a war that had introduced a new euphemism for genocide: ethnic cleansing.
Holbrooke, who had worked as a diplomat, journalist and investment banker, was intrigued, disgusted and challenged by what he saw in the early days of the war in Bosnia.
A month before his first visit, reporters had learned of Bosnian Serb concentration camps where Muslim prisoners were tortured, sexually mutilated and executed. The news photographs and footage seemed like an echo of the Holocaust.
comments powered by Disqus
James W Loewen - 12/5/2008
Ethnic cleansing is not a synonym for genocide. Ethnic cleansing does not necessarily imply that a group has been killed. Driving out is a form of ethnic cleansing; indeed, it, not genocide, is what happened to most minority groups in most places where conflict occurred in former Yugoslavia.
This confusion of terms is why my publisher persuaded me not to subtitle SUNDOWN TOWNS as "The Hidden History of Racial Cleansing in America," my preference. My editor in chief convinced me that many people would interpret this to mean that blacks had been wiped out, rather than "merely" driven out. This story shows she had a point.
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history