What if Hitler had a love child? Historian A.N. Wilson's "Winnie and Wolf" is a chilling fictional tale of a clandestine affair.Historians in the News
Hitler's legacy is so repugnant that even his surviving relatives fiercely guard their privacy and have mostly changed their surname, despite any profit they might make from sales of their famous relative's prison memoir "Mein Kampf" or hawking artifacts connected to the Third Reich. For a rational member of society to speak well of the tyrant in public is to create an outrage. One person who famously did so toward the end of her life was Winifred Wagner, wife of Richard Wagner's son Siegfried, who had a very close friendship with Hitler, or, as her family referred to him, "Uncle Wolf." Winifred Wagner claimed to despise Hitler's politics and treatment of the Jews, and saved the lives of various prominent Jewish people through her sway over the chancellor, but she defended her personal relationship with Hitler until as late as 1975, in a controversial five-hour interview she gave to German film director Hans-Jürgen Syberberg.
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 12/3/2008
We must not do to tyrants what they do to us. Create a false speciation of their prey. That is make their targets less than human. Keeping these people from being human does the same thing. Hides part of the problem and reason they obtained and maintained their power for so long. We are all humans both good and evil. That must be acknowledged if we are to stop it from happening again.
I do find it curious that Hitler was made the metanym of evil and not Stalin who enslaved and tortured and murdered many more people and lived quite a bit longer in his role and the Man of Steel in Russia. I guess some dictatorships are just boring to see. No colorful uniforms and strange symbols and occultic talk of ubermensch among the totalitarian Bolshivecks.
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history