U.N. Urges China to Apologize for Tiananmen MassacreBreaking News
The Geneva-based Committee against Torture says China should also conduct an investigation into what happened around the Tiananmen Square protests and release any dissidents still being held.
In a 15-page report published Friday, the panel says torture and other forms of ill-treatment are still practiced by police and that other officials in China go unpunished.
comments powered by Disqus
Lorraine Paul - 11/27/2008
How very, very true!!!
Louis Godena - 11/26/2008
...are useful things, so long as they are genuine and help the offender to avoid similar behaviors in the future. But, of course, that seldom happens, so what's the point? Will the U.S. apologize for 1.8 million civilian deaths in Vietnam or the murder of more than 1 milllion during General Suharto's Indonesian *coup de tat* in 1965, or for Iraq, etc. The call to apologize unfortunately frequently serves as a cloak for hidden interests.
- Letters collection offers unique gimplse into ordeal of Australian aborigines
- War, More Than ISIS, Is Destroying Syria's Ancient Sites
- Pew Poll: Trust in government is at historic lows
- If "The Donald" Said It Happened, It Happened! And Don't You Forget It!
- Solved: the mystery of Britain’s Bronze Age mummies
- Anne Frank Faced Challenges Similar to Syrian Refugees, Richard Breitman Says
- Douglass North, Nobel Prize-winning economics historian, dies at 95
- William & Mary launching a gay history project