Nazi leader Hitler really did have only one-- Yes, he was monorchic
The Nazi leader lost a testicle during the Battle of the Somme in 1916, the doctor claimed.
The medical condition, for which there has never been conclusive proof, was mocked in the Second World War ditty which begins: "Hitler has only got one ball, the other is in the Albert Hall."
The disclosure is made in a document noting a conversation in the 1960s between German war doctor Johan Jambor and his priest, Franciszek Pawlar, according to The Sun. The priest's document has come to light 23 years after Jambor's death.
Although it was known Hitler suffered a groin injury in the Somme, evidence that he was 'monorchic' - the medical word for the condition - has evaded historians.
comments powered by Disqus
Nicholas Clifford - 11/21/2008
The Silly Season is on. It must be a rule that on every (well, almost every) edition of HNN, there has to be a mention of Hitler.
This particular story may or may not be true; but would someone please explain what its historical significance is? What difference does it make if this condition has "evaded historians?" Or have we descended to the level of the supermarket tabloids?
(Better we should all go read Don DeLillo's White Noise, whose protagonist chairs the Hitler Studies Program at a small college).
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- In a county that tried to amend U.S. history course, a lesson in politics
- Overhauling La Guardia, an Airport With a Historical Name but a Tarnished Image
- Now it can be told: The weakening of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is the crowning achievement of GOP partisans who detested the law
- Japanese textbooks may sanitize history, but comic art books don't
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success