Online Memorial to Charles TillyHistorians in the News
The presentations and papers of the Hirschman Prize ceremony and memorial conference in honor of Charles Tilly (Oct. 3-5, 2008) are now available online , including contributions from Craig Calhoun, Jack Goldstone, Ira Katznelson, Joan Scott, Bill Sewell, Sidney Tarrow, Immanuel Wallerstein, Lynn Eden, Viviana Zelizer, and others. At the memorial conference, the Social Science Research Council (SSRC) and the Social Science History Association (SSHA) announced the creation of the Charles Tilly and Louise Tilly Fund for Social Science History .
Charles Tilly was one of the giants of social science and remains through his teaching, writing, and leadership a formative influence on the study of politics, social movements, inequality, states, French and British history, and historical social science in general. In recognition of his extraordinary achievements, Tilly was selected the winner of the 2008 Albert O. Hirschman Prize, awarded by the Social Science Research Council (SSRC) several weeks before his death on April 29th, 2008. Shortly after his death, the SSRC launched a web site of "Tributes to Charles Tilly" ( www.ssrc.org ), featuring essays by several of his close colleagues and former students and providing the opportunity to submit tributes online ( http://www.ssrc.org). The "Tributes to Charles Tilly" also include a page with "Annotated Links to Charles Tilly Resources" ( http://www.ssrc.org/essays/tilly/resources ), providing extensive information about Charles Tilly's life and work. Furthermore, there is a page listing the newspaper obituaries from around the world ( http://www.ssrc.org ). And as a prelude and pre-announcement of the conference, the SSRC published an interactive version of Charles Tilly's new article “Memorials to Credit & Blame” ( http://www.ssrc.org ).
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity