In Palin's Past, the Personal Got Political
"Whatever you did, you did it right," she told Mr. Bitney and his team.
Seven weeks later she fired Mr. Bitney for what her spokeswoman now describes as "poor job performance."
What happened in between? According to Mr. Bitney, Gov. Palin got a call from another old friend, Scott Richter, informing her that his wife, Debbie Richter, and Mr. Bitney were having an affair. Mr. Bitney had kept that secret from the governor, even as he told her of his divorce, he said.
Allies of Republican presidential nominee John McCain like to point out that his running mate is the governor of the largest state in the union. But at times, Alaska seems more like a small town, run by folks with overlapping professional, political and personal ties that can be difficult to untangle.
comments powered by Disqus
Robert Lee Gaston - 9/11/2008
Someone said of Bill Clinton: "If his wife can't trust him, how can I?"
Kate Jackson - 9/9/2008
Sounds like she exercised some judgement....maybe she didn't like the idea of someone on her staff who lies to his wife, is a cheating on his wife....is divorcing his wife on perhaps less than truthful causes? Could it be a big gap in the integrity factor....and if someone called me on it while I was in office, I would feel a bit foolish at first, then angry, and then wonder can I trust this guy? Then you would be second guessing his motivation. Maybe that was her way of purging herself from a messy situation. I know you professional types never talk about this stuff at work. I know you are all so compartmentalized and hermetically sealed in your thought processes that you would never fire anyone based on the fact that their homelife was a wreck waiting to happen on your watch!
- 93-year-old former Auschwitz guard charged
- Martin Amis’s ‘Zone of Interest’ Makes European Publishers Squirm
- Urban Outfitters Features "Vintage" Red-Stained Kent State Sweatshirt
- Americans know surprisingly little about their government, survey finds
- Do You Have Snippets of the Star-Spangled Banner?
- ‘The Power Broker’ Turns 40: How Robert Caro Wrote a Masterpiece
- How historian Shlomo Sand "stopped being a Jew"
- Columbia University Releases Eric Foner’s Civil War MOOCs. It's Free!
- Historian Geoffrey Ward tells CBS: Fox News would have ‘loved’ to show FDR with polio ‘at his most helpless’
- Eric Hobsbawm is remembered as a polyglot of a kind that's vanished