Georgia congressman defends "uppity" remark about Obamas
Says in a statement: “I’ve never heard that term used in a racially derogatory sense. It is important to note that the dictionary definition of ‘uppity’ is ‘affecting an air of inflated self-esteem — snobbish.’”
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 9/10/2008
Such a liar he is. I am expecting a wink and a nudge to let me know he knows what he is saying isn't true.
Greg L, Reinders - 9/6/2008
The Congressman ignores the history of slavery,as the word is found frequently in primary sources writings of the slave owning community prior to, during and after the civil war. Perhaps he does not read history of those times.
- South Dakota drops history as a high school requirement
- The Forgotten History Of 'Violent Displacement' That Helped Create The National Parks
- Gospel of Jesus’ Wife May Be Authentic, New Tests Suggest
- Architect Sought for Obama’s Presidential Library Complex
- 2016 election's leading candidates have strong Jewish family ties
- Historians tackle America’s mass incarceration problem
- Report: Russian studies in crisis
- Medievalist calls on historians to welcome pop culture
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?