Georgia congressman defends "uppity" remark about Obamas
Says in a statement: “I’ve never heard that term used in a racially derogatory sense. It is important to note that the dictionary definition of ‘uppity’ is ‘affecting an air of inflated self-esteem — snobbish.’”
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 9/10/2008
Such a liar he is. I am expecting a wink and a nudge to let me know he knows what he is saying isn't true.
Greg L, Reinders - 9/6/2008
The Congressman ignores the history of slavery,as the word is found frequently in primary sources writings of the slave owning community prior to, during and after the civil war. Perhaps he does not read history of those times.
- WWII Atomic Bomb Project Had More Than 1,500 “Leaks”
- Neanderthal 'Art' Found In Cave Sheds Surprising New Light On Ancient Intelligence
- Midterm Election Mind-Reading: The Market Tends to Win
- Proof surfaces for affair between Queen Victoria and her male assistant
- Could humans cause another Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum?
- Pro-Israel website chides Middle East Studies professors, claiming they’re apologists for Hamas
- UCLA Economist, Known as Railroad Historian, Dies at 89
- David Rosand, an Art History Scholar Whose Heart Was in Venice, Dies at 75
- NYT interviews Rick Perlstein about his book