Princeton history department responds to blogger's complaints of declineHistorians in the News
It's pretty funny when bloggers are out of date -- whoever posted this one is a few years off. We've hired several senior people: Julian Zelizer (20th US political), Tera Hunter (African-American), and Martha Sandweiss (US West/Material Culture), as well as 5 junior appointments across a variety of sub-fields in US history. So I don't know what to say except that this"history" of the Department would get an F in my course. [Adelman's ellipsis]
Adelman also mentioned Emily Thompson, a senior historian of science and technology in the U.S., who arrived two years ago. (To be fair, Bierce did mention Hunter and Zelizer in his to-be-sure paragraph ["Princeton has not totally failed. ].")
Adelman dropped another piece of news that Bierce hinted at but said he was saving for his readers' future delectation: University officials are weighing the history department's recommendation to offer a tenured slot to Chandra Manning, a rising star in the history of the Civil War. Currently an assistant professor at Georgetown, Manning is a 2002 Harvard Ph.d., and did her undergraduate work at Mount Holyoke. In the lingo of The Broad-Gauge Gossip (Bierce's site), she's a one-book wonder:"What This Cruel War Was Over: Soldiers, Slavery, and the Civil War" (Knopf, 2007). She would more or less be replacing James McPherson, a major figure in Civil War studies, who recently retired.
Bierce, consider yourself scooped!
comments powered by Disqus
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich