Protest by historian at Upper Sioux Agency State Park ends in her arrestBreaking News
Dr. Angela Wilson of Granite Falls, who has a doctorate in Dakota history and studies and goes by her Dakota name Waziyata Win, and her daughter, Autumn Wilson who also goes by her Dakota name Winuna, were part of a counter event to protest the historical re-enactment of life at the Upper Sioux Agency in 1858. They were taken into custody by law enforcement officers after they used a microphone and speaker to voice their objections to the re-enactment.
Both had been previously told that using the address system would disrupt the re-enactment activities and that they would be subject to arrest, according to law enforcement officers at the scene.
The mother and daughter were taken to the Yellow Medicine County Jail in Granite Falls. Winuna was released to the custody of her father Scott Wilson immediately after, he reported at the site. Waziyata Win was subsequently released as well, according to information posted on the Internet by her father, Chris Mato Nunpa.
The Upper Sioux Agency State Park hosted a re-enactment of life at the agency in 1858 as part of the sesquicentennial observances taking part at many state parks this year, according to Courtland Nelson, director of state parks, who was present at the event. The event included local volunteers who re-enacted the role of whites living at the agency....
A group of Dakota men and women maintained what they called a counter event at the park to "tell the truth" about what life was like in 1858, according to Mato Nunpa. He said it was not accurate to describe relations as friendly between the two cultures at the time. If the relationship was one of friendship, he asked rhetorically: "Why did we declare war on them?"
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- DNA Offers Insights into European Hunter Gatherers
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948
- 'Comfort women' and a lesson in how history is shaped in California textbooks
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth