Musharraf's turbulent 9 years in powerBreaking News
Although Musharraf's decision to side with Washington after the Sept. 11 attacks helped rescue Pakistan from the status of a pariah nation, it was followed by an explosion in Islamic militancy at home. Combined with his fumbled efforts to stay in power as democracy returned to Pakistan, he leaves the presidency reviled by many of his countrymen.
His demise was as tortured as his arrival was swift.
comments powered by Disqus
- Steve Fraser says Trump is sui generis
- Yale’s Timothy Snyder denounces the Polish government for sabotaging the Museum of the Second World War
- The Historian Whitewashing Ukraine’s Past
- Andrew Roberts wins $250,000 prize from the conservative Bradley Foundation
- Daniel Aaron, Critic and Historian Who Pioneered American Studies, Dies at 103