Musharraf's turbulent 9 years in power
Although Musharraf's decision to side with Washington after the Sept. 11 attacks helped rescue Pakistan from the status of a pariah nation, it was followed by an explosion in Islamic militancy at home. Combined with his fumbled efforts to stay in power as democracy returned to Pakistan, he leaves the presidency reviled by many of his countrymen.
His demise was as tortured as his arrival was swift.
comments powered by Disqus
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis
- Historian says the removal of Nazi-era art to Switzerland makes restitution unlikely
- Martin Kramer blasts MESA and Steven Salaita