Tribunal Indicts Ex-jailer for Khmer RougeBreaking News
The U.N.-assisted tribunal said in a Tuesday statement its investigating judges issued the indictment after ending their investigation of Kaing Guek Eav -- also known as Duch -- whose Phnom Penh prison was used as a torture center.
Duch, accused of crimes against humanity and war crimes, is the first suspect to be indicted by the tribunal. He and four other former senior members of the Khmer Rouge, who held power in the late 1970s, were taken into custody last year.
The 45-page indictment -- posted on the tribunal's Web site -- came in a closing order announced Tuesday by the investigating judges at the end of yearlong inquiries.
The indictment documents now go to the tribunal judges who will decide on a trial date.
You Bun Leng, a Cambodian investigating judge, said Duch will face two specific charges but declined to give details.
The radical policies of the communist Khmer Rouge are considered responsible for the deaths of 1.7 million people from starvation, disease, overwork and execution. No senior member of the group has ever stood trial for the atrocities...
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 8/20/2008
Considering it was the bombing of Cambodia by the USA that led to the Khmer Rouge take over anyway. Not that you will hear much of that though. Also the USA helped to arm them too. Not a pretty picture of American exceptionalism unless it concerns war crimes.
Arnold Shcherban - 8/14/2008
thanks to the lack of motivation (to say the least) on the part of the US and other major Western powers. That was the way they choose to express their deep greef on Cambodian victims of Khmer Rouge genocide because Cambodia was freed of Khmer Rouge by the "wrong" crowd - Vietnamese.