US House of Rep. poised to apologize for slavery, Jim CrowBreaking News
While many states have apologized for slavery, it will be first time a branch of the federal government will apologize for slavery if the resolution passes, an aide to Cohen said.
By passing the resolution, the House would also acknowledge the "injustice, cruelty, brutality and inhumanity of slavery and Jim Crow."...
The name "Jim Crow" came from a character played by T.D. "Daddy" Rice who portrayed a slave while in blackface during the mid-1800s.
comments powered by Disqus
John D. Beatty - 7/31/2008
When o when will the American Congress apologize to me and my ancestors who were brought here in chains, transported for life and brutalized to early graves?
That they came here in 1611 from Ireland should be of little consequence. Perhaps some New York legislator can propose this, ore even Virginia, since that's where they landed.
No? Gee...why not? I suppose you're going to tell me that I'm not in line for any reparations, either.
Vernon Clayson - 7/30/2008
If Congress is to apologize they should apologize to all citizens for the harm they have caused, perhaps to the pioneers who settled the west without federal funding and the comforts of modern transportation or the Natives that were displaced by the onrushing hordes of profiteers. The legislator who proposes this is pandering, every black person should tell him that don't need his sorry apology nearly as badly as he needs their vote. Tell him what VP Cheney told Sen. Leahy, "go f--- yourself."
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity