Russia slams Bush for linking Nazi and Soviet evils
The Foreign Ministry said Bush had coupled Nazi fascism and Soviet communism as "a single evil" and thus "hurt the hearts" of World War Two veterans in Russia and allied countries, including the United States.
"While condemning the abuse of power and unjustified severity of the Soviet regime's internal policies, we nevertheless can neither treat indifferently attempts to equate Communism and Nazism nor agree that they were inspired by the same ideas and aims," the ministry said in a statement to mark Captive Nations Week, an annual event.
Bush signed a proclamation published on July 18 in which he called on the American people to reaffirm their commitment to advance democracy and defend liberty around the world.
"In the 20th century, the evils of Soviet communism and Nazi fascism were defeated and freedom spread around the world as new democracies emerged," the proclamation said, according to a copy posted on the White House's www.whitehouse.gov Web site.
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 7/30/2008
Marx had nothing to do with it and it was just a different kind of despotism first by Lenin who thought a country couldn't function without firing squads. And Stalin who was a violent, paranoid drunk who killed millions easily. Who wanted immortality and may have been poisoned just before another 'purge' was to begin.
I see Stalinist Russia as successful while the Nazi Germans failed if only due to the limitations of time (12 years) and manpower to do the executions and slavery. Though for some reason the loser--Hitler is the metanym for evil but Stalin is not. I wonder why? Better publicity? More interesting uniforms and symbology? Who knows?
- Number of women leaders around the world has grown, but they’re still a small group
- Say goodbye to the weirdest border dispute in the world
- Harvard acquires Thoreau's notes on the death of Margaret Fuller
- It’s a national historic site, but hardly anybody visits the Idaho internment camp where thousands of Japanese Americans were incarcerated in WW II
- Big-time Hollywood director makes a movie about Stonewall
- Richard Rothstein says government policy created ghettos
- The Islamic historian who can explain why some states fail and others succeed
- High school senior credited with debunking book by Professor Richard Jensen
- Historians at loggerheads over the AP standards
- Bettany Hughes interview: The historian on how Socrates would have solved Greece's problems