Russia slams Bush for linking Nazi and Soviet evilsBreaking News
The Foreign Ministry said Bush had coupled Nazi fascism and Soviet communism as "a single evil" and thus "hurt the hearts" of World War Two veterans in Russia and allied countries, including the United States.
"While condemning the abuse of power and unjustified severity of the Soviet regime's internal policies, we nevertheless can neither treat indifferently attempts to equate Communism and Nazism nor agree that they were inspired by the same ideas and aims," the ministry said in a statement to mark Captive Nations Week, an annual event.
Bush signed a proclamation published on July 18 in which he called on the American people to reaffirm their commitment to advance democracy and defend liberty around the world.
"In the 20th century, the evils of Soviet communism and Nazi fascism were defeated and freedom spread around the world as new democracies emerged," the proclamation said, according to a copy posted on the White House's www.whitehouse.gov Web site.
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 7/30/2008
Marx had nothing to do with it and it was just a different kind of despotism first by Lenin who thought a country couldn't function without firing squads. And Stalin who was a violent, paranoid drunk who killed millions easily. Who wanted immortality and may have been poisoned just before another 'purge' was to begin.
I see Stalinist Russia as successful while the Nazi Germans failed if only due to the limitations of time (12 years) and manpower to do the executions and slavery. Though for some reason the loser--Hitler is the metanym for evil but Stalin is not. I wonder why? Better publicity? More interesting uniforms and symbology? Who knows?
- Watch Robert Kennedy Push Gun Control In Same Town As Recent Mass Shooting
- October is LGBT History Month
- Textbook publisher apologizes for passage referring to slavery as immigration
- 60 Minutes interviews the priest who’s made it his mission to expose the forgotten victims of the Holocaust
- ISIS Destroys Triumphal Arches in Palmyra, Syria
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders
- Intellectual historians to gather in October
- Yuri N. Afanasyev, Historian Who Repudiated Communism, Dies at 81