Graduate, 81, gets history degree (UK)
Robert Benjamin has graduated from the University of Manchester alongside classmates up to 60 years younger.
Mr Benjamin was a former Bevin Boy - a group of young men chosen to work in coal mines during World War II.
He was even interviewed by a fellow student for a dissertation on the conscripts, who were named after politician Ernest Bevin.
The Bevin Boys were chosen at random to work in the mines from 1943, until after the end of the war.
comments powered by Disqus
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- History Camp "unconference" returns for the second year in Boston
- History Department at Connecticut College deplores Facebook post on Palestinians
- Historians join other scholars in protesting Georgia's anti-gay legislation
- Homeland Security historian builds winning case against Salvadoran leader who oversaw crimes
- What Howard Zinn taught the students of Spelman College