Graduate, 81, gets history degree (UK)
Robert Benjamin has graduated from the University of Manchester alongside classmates up to 60 years younger.
Mr Benjamin was a former Bevin Boy - a group of young men chosen to work in coal mines during World War II.
He was even interviewed by a fellow student for a dissertation on the conscripts, who were named after politician Ernest Bevin.
The Bevin Boys were chosen at random to work in the mines from 1943, until after the end of the war.
comments powered by Disqus
- Stanford historian uncovers the dark roots of humanitarianism
- Historian hailed for offering a history of the culture wars
- Scholars to set the West straight about "Apocalyptic Hopes, Millennial Dreams and Global Jihad"
- Why Eugene Genovese’s 2 sentences about Vietnam went viral in 1965
- Historians named to the 2015 class of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences