Graduate, 81, gets history degree (UK)
Robert Benjamin has graduated from the University of Manchester alongside classmates up to 60 years younger.
Mr Benjamin was a former Bevin Boy - a group of young men chosen to work in coal mines during World War II.
He was even interviewed by a fellow student for a dissertation on the conscripts, who were named after politician Ernest Bevin.
The Bevin Boys were chosen at random to work in the mines from 1943, until after the end of the war.
comments powered by Disqus
- King Tut had overbite, club foot because his parents were brother and sister
- Prehistoric humans were far smarter than previously assumed
- Priests race to save manuscripts from jihadists in Iraq
- Where Mud Is Archaeological Gold, Russian History Grew on Trees
- Conflict Uncovers a Ukrainian Identity Crisis Over Deep Russian Roots
- Highlights of the recent Oral History Association Meeting
- Rick Perlstein response to Sam Tanenhaus's complaint that he's an aggregator
- Thai historian faces charges for daring to challenge a story about a royal king
- It's Rick Perlstein vs. Judith Stein in a Three Round Fight
- Park Honan, a Biographer of Authors, Is Dead at 86