Graduate, 81, gets history degree (UK)
Robert Benjamin has graduated from the University of Manchester alongside classmates up to 60 years younger.
Mr Benjamin was a former Bevin Boy - a group of young men chosen to work in coal mines during World War II.
He was even interviewed by a fellow student for a dissertation on the conscripts, who were named after politician Ernest Bevin.
The Bevin Boys were chosen at random to work in the mines from 1943, until after the end of the war.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historians suggest ways California can integrate gay history into the school curriculum
- Now it’s Andrew Bacevich’s turn to do a MOOC
- Historian enlists Plato in campaign to win converts to an exciting way to teach history
- Teachers walkout in Colorado over AP history controversy and pay
- The Hong Kong events in historical perspective: An interview with Jeffrey Wasserstrom