Graduate, 81, gets history degree (UK)
Robert Benjamin has graduated from the University of Manchester alongside classmates up to 60 years younger.
Mr Benjamin was a former Bevin Boy - a group of young men chosen to work in coal mines during World War II.
He was even interviewed by a fellow student for a dissertation on the conscripts, who were named after politician Ernest Bevin.
The Bevin Boys were chosen at random to work in the mines from 1943, until after the end of the war.
comments powered by Disqus
- What New Left History Gave Us
- Marcus Borg, Liberal Christian Scholar, Dies at 72
- Richard Hofstadter’s insights into the "paranoid style in American politics” lauded in the NYT
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Researchers have discovered a previously unknown 149-page manuscript defending homosexuality.