A Green New Deal?Breaking News
"Too important to fail" is the message heard repeatedly from governments stepping in and spending billions to prop up failing financial markets.
But all the time, another system - an atmosphere convivial to human civilisation, that really is too important to fail - is being wrecked by political complacency and unrealistic economics.
Now, a unique new group of specialists in finance, energy and the environment are arguing for a Green New Deal that will deliver a comprehensive solution to the triple crunches of the credit crisis, high energy prices and climate change.
But time is short, very short.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 7/24/2008
Atmosphere convivial to human civilization? In three quarters of a century that is the most stupid comment I've ever heard. Humankind lives, has lived and will continue to live in whatever conditions they find themselves. Global warming will seem a piece of cake for desert dwellers, they've subsisted on what little there is in the desert for unknown thousands of years, Eskimos have adapted to barren ice fields and mountain dwellers in the Andes have subsisted for thousands of years on what there is there, your 100 months will pass unnoticed for them. There will be hard times and your scholarly appraisal will mean nothing, all of their days are a struggle. You looking out from your cushy flat in London may see dreary days but they don't translate to doom, your great-grandfather saw the same weather and your great-grandchildren will see the same. 100 months, my eye, what are you, a front man for Al Gore and his BS?
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges