A Green New Deal?Breaking News
"Too important to fail" is the message heard repeatedly from governments stepping in and spending billions to prop up failing financial markets.
But all the time, another system - an atmosphere convivial to human civilisation, that really is too important to fail - is being wrecked by political complacency and unrealistic economics.
Now, a unique new group of specialists in finance, energy and the environment are arguing for a Green New Deal that will deliver a comprehensive solution to the triple crunches of the credit crisis, high energy prices and climate change.
But time is short, very short.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 7/24/2008
Atmosphere convivial to human civilization? In three quarters of a century that is the most stupid comment I've ever heard. Humankind lives, has lived and will continue to live in whatever conditions they find themselves. Global warming will seem a piece of cake for desert dwellers, they've subsisted on what little there is in the desert for unknown thousands of years, Eskimos have adapted to barren ice fields and mountain dwellers in the Andes have subsisted for thousands of years on what there is there, your 100 months will pass unnoticed for them. There will be hard times and your scholarly appraisal will mean nothing, all of their days are a struggle. You looking out from your cushy flat in London may see dreary days but they don't translate to doom, your great-grandfather saw the same weather and your great-grandchildren will see the same. 100 months, my eye, what are you, a front man for Al Gore and his BS?
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- DNA Offers Insights into European Hunter Gatherers
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948
- 'Comfort women' and a lesson in how history is shaped in California textbooks
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth