Surveyors say they've found Acadian settlement
Following an 18th-century English map and the journals of British Commodore John Byron - the man who led the English conquest against the Acadians - a Quebec archeologist thinks he might have found the village of La Petite-Rochelle, the last settlement that Cmdre. Byron burned to the ground.
"We're pretty confident that we've located the village that the Acadians had fled to, to get away from the deportation," said Michel Goudreau, vice-president of Quebec-based La Société Historique Machault, the organization that sponsored the survey.
comments powered by Disqus
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis
- Historian says the removal of Nazi-era art to Switzerland makes restitution unlikely
- Martin Kramer blasts MESA and Steven Salaita