Surveyors say they've found Acadian settlement
Following an 18th-century English map and the journals of British Commodore John Byron - the man who led the English conquest against the Acadians - a Quebec archeologist thinks he might have found the village of La Petite-Rochelle, the last settlement that Cmdre. Byron burned to the ground.
"We're pretty confident that we've located the village that the Acadians had fled to, to get away from the deportation," said Michel Goudreau, vice-president of Quebec-based La Société Historique Machault, the organization that sponsored the survey.
comments powered by Disqus
- Convicted felon Conrad Black has a new book out
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830
- UK teaching "invented" history as EU propaganda, says Cambridge professor
- The move accelerates to show that black people have a history
- Eric Foner says he insisted on his MOOC on the Civil War being free