History Group's Cry: Help Preserve America’s Historical Records!Historians in the News
Congressmen Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) and Chris Cannon (R-UT) introduced H.R. 6056 last month. The original co-sponsors for the bill are: Sanford Bishop (GA), Joseph Crowley (NY), Eliot Engel (NY), Steve Israel (NY), Carolyn Maloney, (NY), Jim McDermott (WA), James McGovern MA), John McHugh (NY), Jerrold Nadler, (NY) and Edolphus Towns, (NY).
The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) would administer the Preserving the American Historical Records program. The legislation authorizes $50 million a year for five years for the initiative to preserve and provide access to historical records by supporting:
The creation of a wide variety of access tools, including archival finding aids, documentary editions, indexes, and images of key records online; Preservation actions to protect historical records from harm, prolong their life, and preserve them for public use, including digitization projects, electronic records initiatives, and disaster preparedness and recovery; Initiatives to use historical records in new and creative ways to convey the importance of state, territorial, and community history, including the development of teaching materials for K-12 and college students, active participation in National History Day, and support for life-long learning opportunities; and Programs to provide education and training to archivists and others who care for historical records, ensuring that they have the necessary knowledge and skills to fulfill their important responsibilities. Base funding would be provided to each state or territory, with the remainder of funding distributed using a population/area-based formula. A 50 percent match for any funding awards would be required of state and local partners.
Please contact Congress today!
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history