After 60 Years, Arabs in Israel Are OutsidersBreaking News
On Thursday, which is Independence Day, thousands will gather in their former villages to protest what they have come to call the “nakba,” or catastrophe, meaning Israel’s birth. For most Israelis, Jewish identity is central to the nation, the reason they are proud to live here, the link they feel with history. But Israeli Arabs, including the most successfully integrated ones, say a new identity must be found for the country’s long-term survival.
“I am not a Jew,” protested Eman Kassem-Sliman, an Arab radio journalist with impeccable Hebrew, whose children attend a predominantly Jewish school in Jerusalem. “How can I belong to a Jewish state? If they define this as a Jewish state, they deny that I am here.”
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 5/9/2008
The Isreali's wish for a Jewish state is too much like the Germans want of an Aryan state last century. To do that it means that anyone else will automatically be second class. Even if nothing else occurs to them. It is a dangerous idea. Isreal must be careful about such thoughts for they are acting too much like the despised National Socialists that believed a similar doctrine and religious idea.
Isn't that the problem with Zionism is that it is much too similar in its implications and how it is carried out? The Palistinians are already in walled enclaves like ghettos and are reliant on someone else for all of their needs. They are entrapped in a large prison. It isn't right. Nor is the Palistinians response by violence but then the Isreali's don't seem to care.They are in the superior position and are following normal human conduct. We see the same conduct in prisons the world over. Except for Norway.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't