Confederate Plates Bill Going No Where (FL)Breaking News
Representative Don Brown of DuFuniak Springs proposed a bill that creates a license plate displaying the Confederate Heritage Flag.
The bill has no co-sponsors and is considered “dead” because no committees have taken the bill up for debate.
Representative Brown admitted he thought it would stir controversy.
“It is not about racism, it’s not about slavery, it is about an acknowledgement that many of these people’s families have documented that they had friends and family or family who lost their lives fighting for a cause they believed in,” said Brown.
comments powered by Disqus
Patrick Murray - 4/14/2008
The Confederate States Constitution
[speaking to new states or territories] In all such territory the institution of negro slavery, as it now exists in the Confederate states, shall be recognized and protected by Congress & by the Territorial government, & the inhabitants of the several Confederate States & Territories shall have the right to take to such territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the States or Territories of the Confederate States.
To me that says that no Confederate state or territory could outlaw slavery. So much for states rights. When are white Southern legislators going to understate what the Confederate States of America was about if not race slavery! Is that what America wants on license plates in the 21st Century?!
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Trump Recording Narrows Divide on Sexual Assault
- SUNY professor says Trump win at least 87 percent certain; other polls 'bunk'
- Petition Started to Include Clarence Thomas in National African American Museum
- The Racial Politics of Nat Turner Tours
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller