Titanic letter could fetch £9,000
Charles Jones, who worked for the Colgate firm in New York, was returning to the US after a UK trip to buy sheep from Dorset farmer James Foot.
Mr Foot received Mr Jones' last letter on 15 April, the actual day the Titanic sank after hitting an iceberg.
According to Dukes, the note, on headed White Star paper, read: "Just had lunch and a cigar and feel fine..."
Just days later, Mr Jones was dead after the vessel, which was on its maiden voyage, sank.
comments powered by Disqus
- Evidence of Pre-Columbus Trade Found in Alaska House
- Rwanda Pullout Driven by Clinton White House, U.N. Equivocation
- Centuries of Italian History Are Unearthed in Quest to Fix Toilet
- The U.S. Discovery of Israel's Secret Nuclear Project
- At Auschwitz-Birkenau, Preserving a Site and a Ghastly Inventory