Titanic letter could fetch £9,000
Charles Jones, who worked for the Colgate firm in New York, was returning to the US after a UK trip to buy sheep from Dorset farmer James Foot.
Mr Foot received Mr Jones' last letter on 15 April, the actual day the Titanic sank after hitting an iceberg.
According to Dukes, the note, on headed White Star paper, read: "Just had lunch and a cigar and feel fine..."
Just days later, Mr Jones was dead after the vessel, which was on its maiden voyage, sank.
comments powered by Disqus
- Field Report: What I learned by attending a workshop on Korean history
- Historians suggest ways California can integrate gay history into the school curriculum
- Now it’s Andrew Bacevich’s turn to do a MOOC
- Historian enlists Plato in campaign to win converts to an exciting way to teach history
- Teachers walkout in Colorado over AP history controversy and pay