National Archives Celebrates New Deal's 75th Anniversary in March
Electing FDR: The New Deal Campaign of 1932
Thursday, March 13, at 7 p.m., William G. McGowan Theater
Archivist of the United States Allen Weinstein moderates a panel discussing President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's"New Deal." Its innovations were so warmly embraced by voters that later conservative presidents recognized their importance. The panel features Donald Ritchie, Senate historian and author of Electing FDR: The New Deal Campaign of 1932; Jonathan Alter, Newsweek editor and author of The Defining Moment (on FDR's first hundred days); and Allida Black, Director and Editor, The Eleanor Roosevelt Papers. Electing FDR is the first book in seventy years to examine in its entirety the 1932 presidential election that ushered in the historic New Deal; to analyze Roosevelt's campaign strategies; and to consider how candidates responded to the nation's economic crisis.
For A Better America: The New Deal on Film - All-Day Film Festival
Saturday, March 15, William G. McGowan Theater
The Charles Guggenheim Center for the Documentary Film at the National Archives presents a one-day festival of U.S. Government-produced films from the motion picture holdings of the National Archives related to the Depression era and the New Deal. Drawn from the motion picture holdings of the National Archives and Records Administration, For a Better America: the New Deal on Film presents many newly-struck prints of just a sampling of these films.
comments powered by Disqus
- Holocaust Victims Mocked in Ohio State Band Parody Songbook
- Memphis attempt to drop name of Nathan Bedford Forrest runs into state law
- Overlooked: The 25th anniversary of Captive Nations Week
- In confession to historian, George McGovern revealed he had a secret child
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial