International Symposium on Baghdad's role in Islamic civilization plannedBreaking News
Given its glorious history, Baghdad today is a cause for sadness and apprehension among the Muslims and scholarly communities around the world.The collapse of order and the ongoing destruction in Baghdad means much more than the necessary cost of reshaping the Middle East, as generally advocated in the media. It has far-reaching impact on human historical consciousness and far greater significance for the history , intellectual and political legacy of not only the Islamic world but the history of human civilization in general.
Amid this transformative moment in the history of Baghdad, the University of Marmara, the Faculty of Divinity, the Department of Islamic History and Arts, Umraniye Municipality, and the Research Centre for Islamic History, Art and Culture of the Islamic Conference (IRCICA) are organizing a symposium on Baghdad to be held in mid-November 2008. (The exact date will be announced later).
We cordially invite you to contribute to the symposium on any of the topics dealing with politics, economy, science and education, religious movements, social and religious life, non-Muslims, architecture, art, and literature in Baghdad during the following periods:
- Baghdad from its establishment to the Mongol conquests,
- From the Mongol conquests to the Ottoman Period,
- Baghdad during the Ottoman Period,
- Baghdad after the Ottoman Period....
Please send your abstract by 30 January 2008 by e-mail to: Dr. Nuh Arslantas, Secretary
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity