International Symposium on Baghdad's role in Islamic civilization planned
Given its glorious history, Baghdad today is a cause for sadness and apprehension among the Muslims and scholarly communities around the world.The collapse of order and the ongoing destruction in Baghdad means much more than the necessary cost of reshaping the Middle East, as generally advocated in the media. It has far-reaching impact on human historical consciousness and far greater significance for the history , intellectual and political legacy of not only the Islamic world but the history of human civilization in general.
Amid this transformative moment in the history of Baghdad, the University of Marmara, the Faculty of Divinity, the Department of Islamic History and Arts, Umraniye Municipality, and the Research Centre for Islamic History, Art and Culture of the Islamic Conference (IRCICA) are organizing a symposium on Baghdad to be held in mid-November 2008. (The exact date will be announced later).
We cordially invite you to contribute to the symposium on any of the topics dealing with politics, economy, science and education, religious movements, social and religious life, non-Muslims, architecture, art, and literature in Baghdad during the following periods:
- Baghdad from its establishment to the Mongol conquests,
- From the Mongol conquests to the Ottoman Period,
- Baghdad during the Ottoman Period,
- Baghdad after the Ottoman Period....
Please send your abstract by 30 January 2008 by e-mail to: Dr. Nuh Arslantas, Secretary
comments powered by Disqus
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- In a county that tried to amend U.S. history course, a lesson in politics
- Overhauling La Guardia, an Airport With a Historical Name but a Tarnished Image
- Now it can be told: The weakening of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is the crowning achievement of GOP partisans who detested the law
- Japanese textbooks may sanitize history, but comic art books don't
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success