Woman who tried to kill Ford freed
Bureau spokeswoman Felicia Ponce said she had no details on why Moore was let out. But she said that with good behavior, inmates sentenced to life can apply for parole after 10 years.
Moore was 40 feet away from Ford outside a hotel in San Francisco when she fired a shot at him on Sept. 22, 1975. As she raised her .38-caliber revolver and pulled the trigger, Oliver Sipple, a disabled former Marine standing next to her, pushed up her arm. The bullet flew over Ford's head by several feet.
Two weeks earlier, Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a follower of Manson's, tried to kill the president in Sacramento.
In recent interviews, Moore said she regretted her actions, saying she was blinded by her radical political views and convinced that the government had declared war on the left.
comments powered by Disqus
Michael Calder - 1/9/2008
When I was a student at Berkely reading government documents pertaining to the JFK assassination, I came across government documents pertaining to the assassination attempt on President Ford by Sara Jane Moore. The intelligence division of the San Francisco Police Department had tipped the Secret Service that Sara Jane Moore was going to try and assassinate President Ford. The Secret Service interviewed her and found her not to be a threat. They did confiscate a gun she owned. The next day she acquired another gun and used it to shoot at Ford. The Secret Service Agent who cleared her after interviewing her said that if he had to do it over again he would make the same decision. He concluded at the time she was not a threat based on years of experience. Either he did a poor job in evaluating her or she was one heck of an actress or maybe there was a third explanation. Perhaps Sara Jane Moore wasn't going to shoot the President but her alter ego was. I noticed Nelson Rockefeller was Vice President and wonder if his brother, David Rockfeller requested CIA to make his brother President. If so, it would have been time to break out MKULTA once again. I'm wondering now if the shooters of RFK,George Wallace, President Ford, John Lennon and Ronald Reagan were all "Manchurian Candidates".
James Draper - 1/3/2008
Now at the youthful age of 77 she can start enjoying life.
- U.S. Textbook Skews History, Prime Minister of Japan Says
- Recalling a Film From the Liberation of the Camps
- Skull Fossil Offers New Clues on Human Journey From Africa
- Are crude conspiracies right? Research shows nations really do go to war over oil
- Famed SC civil rights protesters have convictions erased
- Columbia University professors Eric Foner, Alan Brinkley, and Alice Kessler-Harris to retire
- A powerhouse appropriations subcommittee is now headed by a historian: Republican Rep. Tom Cole (OK)
- Slavic scholars divided over a scholarship sponsored (and withdrawn) by Stephen F. Cohen
- Claire Strom to Step Down as Editor of Agricultural History
- Joan Peters’s legacy assessed by one of her fiercest critics, Norman Finkelstein