White House press secretary admits she didn't know what Cuban Missile Crisis was
White House press secretary Dana Perino has been front and center of the White House's push to continue to label Iran a rogue state for its pursuit of uranium enrichment technology.
This comes against the backdrop of a new intelligence estimate positing that the Islamic state abandoned its nuclear weapons in 2003.
Turns out she doesn't know quite so much about nuclear weapons as she supposes. And we're not talking about Iran.
Appearing on National Public Radio's quiz show, "Wait, Wait ... Don't Tell Me," this weekend, Perino admitted a story she'd previously only shared in private: When a reporter asked her a question during a White House briefing in which he referred to the Cuban Missile Crisis -- she didn't know what it was.
"I was panicked a bit because I really don't know about . . . the Cuban Missile Crisis," said Perino, who at 35 was born about a decade after the 1962 U.S.-Soviet nuclear showdown. "It had to do with Cuba and missiles, I'm pretty sure."
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 12/12/2007
I don't know why it's a big deal that she didn't know about the Cuban missile "crisis", not many of us had much of an idea about it at the time. We knew that the Russians had installed them in Cuba and that the Kennedy brothers by some sleight of hand had them removed. I say sleight of hand because what we were told at the time, that JFK had forced Russia's hand and prevented WWIII, isn't what we know now, actually he made an agreement with Russia that we would removed our missiles from Turkey if they removed theirs from Cuba. The version we heard is that naval forces from Russia were stopped from entering the Caribean from the sheer power of Kennedy's will and demands. JFK, we hardly knew ye, but that was at the time, now we do know ye, you were scared s--tless and you were floundering.
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Thousands Of FBI Documents About Civil Rights Era Destroyed By Flooding
- Ancient Egyptian Woman with 70 Hair Extensions Discovered
- Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'
- Conservatives press the case against the new AP framework for US history
- Who wrote the new AP US History framework? Now we know.
- Pro-Israel groups going after federal support of Middle East Studies
- 100th Anniversary of Beard's 'An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution' commemorated
- University of Illinois Bigwig to Native American Studies scholar Jean O’Brien: Drop Dead