White House press secretary admits she didn't know what Cuban Missile Crisis wasBreaking News
White House press secretary Dana Perino has been front and center of the White House's push to continue to label Iran a rogue state for its pursuit of uranium enrichment technology.
This comes against the backdrop of a new intelligence estimate positing that the Islamic state abandoned its nuclear weapons in 2003.
Turns out she doesn't know quite so much about nuclear weapons as she supposes. And we're not talking about Iran.
Appearing on National Public Radio's quiz show, "Wait, Wait ... Don't Tell Me," this weekend, Perino admitted a story she'd previously only shared in private: When a reporter asked her a question during a White House briefing in which he referred to the Cuban Missile Crisis -- she didn't know what it was.
"I was panicked a bit because I really don't know about . . . the Cuban Missile Crisis," said Perino, who at 35 was born about a decade after the 1962 U.S.-Soviet nuclear showdown. "It had to do with Cuba and missiles, I'm pretty sure."
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 12/12/2007
I don't know why it's a big deal that she didn't know about the Cuban missile "crisis", not many of us had much of an idea about it at the time. We knew that the Russians had installed them in Cuba and that the Kennedy brothers by some sleight of hand had them removed. I say sleight of hand because what we were told at the time, that JFK had forced Russia's hand and prevented WWIII, isn't what we know now, actually he made an agreement with Russia that we would removed our missiles from Turkey if they removed theirs from Cuba. The version we heard is that naval forces from Russia were stopped from entering the Caribean from the sheer power of Kennedy's will and demands. JFK, we hardly knew ye, but that was at the time, now we do know ye, you were scared s--tless and you were floundering.
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history