Kennedy Memoirs Said to Fetch $8 Million
After a six-day auction that concluded Nov. 19, Twelve, an imprint of Grand Central Publishing, bought world rights for the autobiography. Before the deal can be completed, Mr. Kennedy must clear his publishing contract with the Senate Ethics Committee.
Jonathan Karp, publisher and editor in chief of Twelve, said he hoped to publish the book in the fall of 2010. Mr. Kennedy is “walking, talking history,” Mr. Karp said, “and there’s no limit to what he can talk about with authority and distinctive personal perspective.”...
“I’ve been fortunate in my life to grow up in an extraordinary family and to have a front-row seat at many key events in our nation’s history,” Mr. Kennedy said in a statement.
For the past three years, he has been working with the Miller Center of Public Affairs at the University of Virginia on an oral history of his life, and those tapes will serve as source material for his autobiography.
Mr. Kennedy, who will work with a co-writer, is expected to write candidly about his personal history, including the 1969 Chappaquiddick accident in which he drove a car off a bridge on Martha’s Vineyard, resulting in the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, a former member of Senator Robert F. Kennedy’s staff. He will also write about his unsuccessful bid for the presidency.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 11/30/2007
This book should be an all time best seller. His life long conduct as a hard-drinking licentious philanderer makes Bill Clinton look serence and angelic. If it is made into a movie they will have to search long and hard for a swashbuckling type, it can't be Johnny Depp, he's far too shallow, it would have to be a Tyrone Power, Douglas Fairbanks type and I can't imagine where such could be found. His reputation has not harmed him with the citizens of Massachusetts, there is no crime he could commit that would sour them, mostly because they feel empathy for him, he being practically an orphan what with his three brothers dying young and violently. Bill Clinton is from the people pictured in the movie Deliverance, Teddy is from Massachusetts, the land that produces the likes of the Cabots and Lodges.
- New museum in Poland -- the grandest space created since 1989 -- tells the story of the Jews
- Lewinsky mistreated by authorities in investigation of Clinton, report says
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- How Laurel Thatcher Ulrich caught up with the past
- Postal Workers Take on Harvard President, historian Drew Faust
- Symposium held in honor of John D’Emilio
- Thousands of Historic Archives from British Asylums to Go Online
- American Studies Association boycott of Israel: Conservatives say it’s weakening