C-SPAN running series on presidential libraries
comments powered by Disqus
Mark Garapic - 11/24/2007
Hello Erik Nelson---Eleanor widely used that joke when visiting Pacific troops. The private shouted "to hell with Hirohito. Up jumped a bunch of Japs, and they shouted "To hell with Roosevelt." and the sad private couldn't shoot a fellow Republican." Since there was wartime secrecy and lack of filming, she was able to use this joke over and over.
Excellent series on Presidential libraries, just thought I'd fill in this tid-bit of Eleanor info--
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- Emory’s Leslie Harris says we should remember the racist roots of American colleges as we think about what went wrong at OU and other schools
- Stanford historian looks to the U.S. Postal Service to map the boom and bust of 19th-century American West
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library
- History Camp "unconference" returns for the second year in Boston