C-SPAN running series on presidential libraries
comments powered by Disqus
Mark Garapic - 11/24/2007
Hello Erik Nelson---Eleanor widely used that joke when visiting Pacific troops. The private shouted "to hell with Hirohito. Up jumped a bunch of Japs, and they shouted "To hell with Roosevelt." and the sad private couldn't shoot a fellow Republican." Since there was wartime secrecy and lack of filming, she was able to use this joke over and over.
Excellent series on Presidential libraries, just thought I'd fill in this tid-bit of Eleanor info--
- New documentary explores the legacy of the 5,000 Rosenwald schools set up by a Sears magnate and Booker T. Washington
- Rare silent Native American movie of 1920s attracting a lot of interest
- It happened in Idaho and was the largest massacre of Indians in US history, but where exactly did it take place?
- Junípero Serra’s Missions Destroyed Entire Native Cultures. And Now He’s Going to Be a Saint.
- Isis destruction of Palmyra's Temple of Bel revealed in satellite images
- Two scholars from UT object to the Texas school's decision to remove the statue of Jefferson Davis
- A history professor explains why Americans are so prone to conspiracy theories
- Now Greg Grandin has come out with a study of Henry Kissinger
- Japanese historian upends the familiar narrative of WW 2 by taking a bottom up approach, focusing on fascism from the grassroots
- Holocaust-denying historian David Irving organises 'disgusting' £2,000-a-head holiday tours of former concentration camps and Hitler's HQ so people can 'make up their own mind about the truth'