Australian PM's 'white' history under fireBreaking News
Bond University history lecturer Shirleene Robinson described the guide as narrow and selective, whitewashing away the worst aspects of Australia's history, especially its sometimes racist past.
"I think in many ways it's a very white perspective," Dr Robinson said.
She said the guide appeared to underplay early conflict between Aborigines and Europeans, the removal of Aboriginal children from their families and the "White Australia Policy".
"It is an unfortunate fact that racism was a major motivating fact behind Federation and this does not appear to be covered at all," she said.
Australian History Teachers Association Queensland President Ros Korkatzis said it was worrying that northern Australia hardly rated any attention, while Australian National University historian Dr Tim Rowse was concerned that the guide addressed only the history of Australia, ignoring its place in the world.
comments powered by Disqus
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Hitler's phone, 'the most destructive 'weapon' of all time,' sold for $243,000
- NYT features fascinating story about Ford’s fantasyland in Brazil
- Mark Zuckerberg issues manifesto on the future of Facebook that rests on insights of Israeli historian Yuval Harari
- Migration To Americas Came in Waves, According to Big Data
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans